God is at work through the Spirit to create communities that embody the reconciliation and healing of the world. The fruit of God's love is the formation of communities that confess, worship and pray together. We see this carried out throughout the book of Acts. There is something significant about the Lord’s church and them coming together in unity. Eph 3:10 to the intent that now the manifold wisdom of God might be made known by the church to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places, Ethics connect to God’s purpose. We are the means through which God works in the world today.
1. Unity glorifies God. Romans 15:6-18. Unity is right there is Eph 4. We are to be the very definition of unity and of one accord. We are to be recreated in the nature of Christ. We are to look out for the good of others. The harmony we are to have within the body is much bigger than our own unity, it is also tied into the glorification of the world, it is about the promises God made to Abraham. God's purpose is to unite all things together into one, things in heaven and things on earth. Unity conveys God’s glory to the world.
2. Sin disrupts unity. Gal. 5:13-6:5. It not only disrupts our relationship with God but also that with our brethren. I can’t say I love God if I go around treating people poorly. Sin disrupts harmony in marriages, in friendships, in all relationships. Sin does more severe damage than we sometimes think it does. We need to be concerned about conflict within the body of Christ. The sins mentioned in Gal. 5 relate not only to holiness but also to relationships. Sin disrupts unity.
3. Division is the anti-gospel, 1 Cor. 1:18-25; 3:1-4. When unity is not prioritized some horrible things happen. What happens is the very opposite of what God desires. We live in the flesh as opposed to living in the Spirit. Paul says in chapter three they are still living in the flesh. They are not living in a way that brings people together in unity.
Fellowship in Christ: 1. Confession promotes unity. Professing Jesus as Lord regularly brings us together. But also confessing our sins to one another brings us together and glorifies God. The world says don’t tell people your troubles, your weaknesses. That is the very opposite of the message of the cross. Confessing to one another promotes trust and helps the body grow together.
2. Worship expresses loyalty. Our allegiance to God is being stated when we come together. We are loyal to you our God.
3. Prayer builds relationship.
Between resurrection and return, the congregation is God’s working in the world.