Is it possible to hold the line on morality in the 21st century? Whose line? God’s line. Not some hedge I come up with that is safe and acceptable. Are we losing the battle? Will clearly immoral behavior be ignored, even condoned and practiced openly among the Lords people?
1 Cor16:13, there is a spiritual war face taking place. We are to be on the alert and stand firm. And in 2 Cor 10:5, Paul says we are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of God. We fight against any message that is contrary to that. Are we winning that battle today as morals increasingly decline?
Increasing moral decline:
- Speech. 80 years ago when Clark Gable uttered his famous line with profanity in it, there was moral outrage over that; now that is considered benign.
- Dress. Even in the last 20 years there have been dramatic loosening of what is immodest. Boils down to an accurate perception of my view of my clothing and the effect it has on others, and my motives in how I choose to dress.
- Alcohol. If your motives are strong enough you can abstain from drinking.Impurity - probably at an all time high with sexual promiscuity. Adultery is commonplace. Sexting. Internet pornography. Along with that is the attempt to normalize homosexuality.
- Gambling. The greed that this generates.
- Drugs. Legalization of cannabis, opioid addictions....
The standards among the Lord’s people are not what they once were. Many justify what they want to practice. No one likes pangs of conscience. People don’t like feeling like they may be lost if they continue in their behavior.
1. When we violate Gods principles and the holiness to which He calls us, there are horrific penalties associated, no matter what men may say, not inheriting the kingdom of God being the most severe.
2. The standards of what churches and teachers teach matters.
3. The battle can be won by trusting, living and advancing the righteousness of God. We must believe that God’s ways are right, are best, are saving and are exalting. I have to believe it first and then I have to implement this in my life.