Necessary motivations, part 2. 6 men, expounding on this mornings lesson:
1. God the creator. Gen. 1:1-3. God spoke something into existence out of nothing. Rom1:18-20. God’s power is evident in nature. Our soul is made in God’s image. 2 Pet 3:8-10. God wants us all in heaven with Him. Song 74, sing the mighty power of God
2. Grace and Savior. Eph 1:7; 2:8. By grace you have been saved through faith, not of yourself it is the gift of God. 2:13 - we’ve been brought near by the blood of Christ.
3. Undone and hell. With every natural disaster in the world there is both fact-based reporting and there is human interest reporting. We get a sense of the human tragedy from the latter. The world is operating on a deadline. It will be burned up. Solomon said it is vanity to arrive after things of the world. The message is we can work for something that does have lasting value. Receiving a kingdom that cannot be moved, Hebrews. Isa. 55:1-2. Every bit of time we spend swaps that time with something that is either lasting, or not. Knowing the terror of the Lord, we persuade men, 2 Cor5:11. Sing #810.
4. Peace and joy. Many people search for peace and joy without finding it. Rejoice always, the Bible says. Not easy but Peter speaks to it. 1 Pet 4:12-16. Think forward to when His glory will be revealed. Whatever we suffer will be worth it. Heb 12:2. Set our eyes on Jesus who for the joy set before Him endured the cross. Verse 19 - we trust our souls to a faithful creator in doing what is right. If we can focus on Jesus we can ensure our joy and peace are not dependent upon the circumstances of the world. sing # 677.
5. Love and brotherhood. Rom 12:6-8. The key word in this verse is “use”. We need to use the talents we have. We may feel inadequate to serve one another but each of us has some ability to do so. Love one another with brotherly affection, he says later on. 1 Pet 4:10. Use your gift to serve one another.
6. Hope eternal. 107 billion people have died in the history of the earth. 9 billion currently live on earth. All those who have died can no longer affect their destiny. It is fixed. Most are concerned only with the problems directly In front of us. We need to think about our future, eternity. Our life is negligible. It’s not that life is short, it’s that you’re dead for so long. (Ha ha). Luke 9:62. We are not fit for the kingdom if put hand to plow and look back. Rev. 2:7. To him who overcomes I will give the tree of life.. similar message to every church in Rev. 2-3: to he who overcomes God will give great blessings. Jesus is trying to get them, and us, to focus on the goal. We need to continuously think about where we are going.
Conclusion. Be advised, there is an adversary who doesn’t want us to have these motivations. He will oppose us tenaciously. He will fight against us. Be watchful. Keep these motivations close to us and in our hearts.