An age old problem, divorcing behavior from faith, and even faith from faith, meaning I come to worship three times a week, but once I walk out the door, I live and speak differently - that is divorcing faith from faith. Behavior matters, if we claim to be religious.
Words matter. Statistics tell us church goers are using more profanity than they ever have. "Words singularly are the most powerful force available to humanity"- quote from Yehuda Berg.
Our mouths reveal our motives. They also reveal whether we are spiritual or carnal. Are they helpful? Do they reflect a heart devoted to God?
Eph 4:29 - let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth
Matt 5:10 - what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man
James 3:10 - from the same mouth comes blessing and cursing... this ought not to be
Eph 5:3-5 - must be no filthiness, silly talk or coarse jesting
Col 3:8-14 - put all aside....anger, wrath ....abusive speech from your mouth
Observations: These verses refer to things such as:
1. Blasphemy- Matt 6:9. Using God’s name as an adjective is so very disrespectful. Hallowed be His name, Jesus said in Matt 6:9.
2. Sexuality. Eph 5:3-5. God meant sex to be private between two people in marriage and not to be talked about publicly.
3. Vulgarity - Eph 5:3-5
4. Immoderacy or a lack of moderation, excess.
1. What about the environments you are in? Eph 5:6ff. Should you just say nothing when people use profanity around you? You must use tact when objecting to that of course.
2. What about entertainment ? What kinds of thoughts are what you watch putting into your mind?
3. What about euphemisms? Are they any better? Or OMG? Is using the initials any better than actually saying it?
And anger makes you more susceptible to using profanity.
Everyday Christianity, 1Th 5:21 Test all things; hold fast what is good. 22 Abstain from every form of evil. 23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Molding every thought and action after the will of our Lord is worth the effort and will pay dividends in your life.